Please tell me you have lost your mind at some point while your children were sick. You haven't? Then we can't be friends, sorry. You have? I love you. For reals. If you don't have kids, but know you would lose your mind if you had kids and they got sick? I love you too!
Anywho, some awful virus landed in our house - striking Elaine first, and then Warren. This thing came with fevers that wouldn't break or quit. Elaine's lasted a full five days. Warren is on day 5 and is currently rockin a 99.7 temp which is no big deal after a night of 104.7. Oh, that's right. In addition to the fever, there is a horrible sore throat, and at the end? Drainage. Which causes a cough. It's freaking awesome.
In the past days I have:
- been to pediatric urgent care
- had my daughter's throat swabbed for strep (negative)
- called my doctor's office
- called the exchange for my doctor's office
- talked to a nurse at children's hospital
- had my mother take my children to the pediatrician where both kids got swabbed for strep (negative)
- held my daughter's hand while she got blood drawn testing for mono (negative)
- slept with a child burning with fever in my bed at least four times
- had my husband leave town for work
- cursed the thermometer when their fevers kept rising
- prayed, begged, crossed fingers and toes that the fevers would disappear or break for even a few moments
- contemplated a trip to the ER at ten at night for that freakishly high fever
- put burning children into cool bathtubs against their will
- washed sheets filled with sweat several times
- wiped down every freaking surface I can think of
- picked up hundreds of snot filled kleenexes
- cranked an expander wider in my daughter's mouth at least three times while she was sick
- dispensed an awful lot of ibuprofen, advil, tylenol, cough syrup, benadryl, sudafed and cough drops
- watched a lot of crappy kid tv - Bionic kids living in the basement? Who thinks of this crap?
- planted a lot of kisses on hot foreheads
- listened to crying and moaning and wished I could fix it (I can't)
- wanted to run crying from this house never to return
- handed out popsicles, gatorades, waters, sodas and anything else they could have possibly wanted
- called into work or left early many times
- tripped over the dog with a bowl full of puke and not spilled it (amazing)
- laughed, cried and cursed simultaneously
- sent a very strongly worded hateful I'm so done with this text to my husband (sorry about that dear, I was losing it)
- finished off a bag of animal crackers, the rest of the cookies n' cream ice cream and had three bowls of cinnamon toast crunch cereal. I have not eaten the popsicles - those are for the sore throats!
That's all normal, right?